Operation Gratitude Care Package Weekend!

Monday, December 19, 2011

Why I'm not supporting Rick Perry (yet)...

When they wanted to show Ronald Reagan as a working man, a man of the people, they went and got pictures of the man working, the way he always worked...
When they wanted to show us George W. Bush as a working man, a man of the people, they went and shot pictures of him working, the way he always worked....
When they wanted to show us Rick Perry as a working man, a man of the people, they fired up the backlights and the smoke machine and the movie set and the props and the pristine chaps that frankly looked to me like they'd never spent a day in the chaparral...

Look, maybe Rick Perry is a rough tough working buckaroo.  I certainly respect his military service. But back when he was running against Perry for the Governorship, Kinky Friedman laid a serious rap on Perry as an empty suit, a tailor's dummy for the Machine to manipulate.

Handing us a glorified Marlboro Man ad is no way to lay that concern to rest.  And to a lesser extent that's a problem with the rest of his ads, as well.  His denim shirts are always crisp and brand-new, his "work" jackets uncreased and unscarred.  Working folks get dirty, they get wrinkled, and they won't hold against a man who shows up to talk about jobs in a jacket that looks like it's been worked in.

Now I know Kinky has at least come around to the extent of acknowledging that Perry has presided over  some outstanding economic performance by the state of Texas.  But presiding over other people's hard work by itself is not a sign that you can do the work yourself.

And yes, Perry had some brain freezes in those jumped-up reality shows we called debates.  But the thing is, it seems to me, a man with deeply held convictions and intentions could expand on those even if he blocked on a certain specific buzzword or platform point.  Perry needs to show me he can do that yet.

Understand, I could bring myself to vote for Perry regardless, where I don't think I could for Romney or Gingrich.  But I'd be a lot happier if he showed me there was some 'there' there.

3 comments:

Freedom's Tower said...

Perry has won the past few debates, according to most pundits. What else do you want from him? The "there there" is his solid record in Texas.

richard mcenroe said...

Again, while I don't gainsay the way Texas has thrived, I'm also aware of the limited authority of the TX GOV. A lot of other people were involved in those successes, and in DC he's going to be working with a lot of people who are actively against such success, for person and political reasons both.

I heard to hear more of what we heard from Jindal today, about how Perry acted decisively to help LA after Katrina.

Anonymous said...

Deborah Leigh said... Freedom Tower, we want honesty in a candidate. Portraying Perry as a James West character rather than an authentic working man is not what the voters want. Pundits may annoint him as the winner of a debate, but keep in mind that it is only their opinion. I prefer to make up my own mind.

Perry's actions on illegal immigration are not in-line with his comments. This is disturbing. I respect that he has created jobs in Texas, but the question then becomes, who filled those jobs?


List of Information, Implication and Insinuation

Three Beers Later!

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive